Wednesday 16 November 2011

Mo-taphor

There are many great metaphors in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. But to the best of my knowledge this is the first Mo-taphor.

I'm growing a moustache as part of the Movember fundraiser for the battle against Prostate Cancer and Depression. Two great causes, and a great way to raise money. I grow a mo and look like a fool, and then people make a mo-nation in exchange for laughing at me and telling me how ridiculous I look. Feel free to laugh and donate here: www.mobro.co/camhs

While I've had beards in the past, this is my first ever Mo, and I must say having a mo forces me to practice all aspects of the ACT Hexaflex.
I need to defuse or hold lightly all those thoughts that keep telling me how foolish I look (and boy am I getting a lot of those) and make space for all those feelings of embarrassment, letting the emotions be there without struggling against them. I have to be present to all the feelings, sensations and especially the itches and scratches that are happening below my nose and above my lip (today a client laughed at me because I was absentmindedly playing with my mo while she spoke). I can view all my thoughts from the 'observing self', I am no more my thoughts than I am Magnum PI, but I will listen to either if they are helpful. And despite all these unhelpful thoughts and emotions, I can take steps towards my value of supporting charities that do good work.

That's one hell of a thought-provoking mo

No comments:

Post a Comment